I love, love, love our new electric water kettle. It is so useful. It boils water quickly and with just the turn of a switch. If I had to advise one item that every house should have, it would be an electric kettle. And there are so many cool designs!
The biggest bit of advice with an electric kettle – get one with a lift-off base. It means you don’t have to worry about unplugging the kettle when you fill it up, and it’s safer for pouring the boiling water too.
Here are some of my favorites:
- Breville Ikon Electric Teakettle (1-qt. capacity, $69.95 at Williams-Sonoma) – This is ours. It has a really clean, modern shape and cool spring loaded lid. I love the LED light-up water gauge. When it’s on, it looks like R2D2!
- Kalorik Aqua Glass Electric Kettle ($79.99 at Linens-n-Things) – This one wins for modern sleek design. It would look totally swanky sitting on a kitchen counter. I’m unclear what the size is, or whether that glass base would stand the test of time.
- Cuisinart Electric Teakettle (1.75-qt capacity, $79.95 at Williams-Sonoma). This one has classic, old-fashioned kettle looks with modern electric technology. My one concern here is the handle, which looks awkward for pouring leverage. But the look is one of a kind if you want a real teakettle appearance!
- Capresso Electric Kettle (48 oz capacity, $59.99 at Crate and Barrel) – This clear glass one looks so cool. I can’t decide if it would be fun or drive me slowly crazy to wait and watch the water boil…
Posted in Registry | 1 Comment »
I just visited our local Target and there’s a huge new display of outdoor, beach, picnic, and party goods by everyone’s favorite entertainer, Cynthia Rowley. You can find a fair amount of it on the Target website here, but I found lots of stuff that isn’t on the website when I went in person (like fun paper goods and decorative items!). If you have a Target registry, don’t pass these up:
Plastic fruit tumblers are $23.99 for set of 12:
Sailboat pocket tote bag with mini-binoculars makes a cute bridesmaid gift ($16.99):
Rattan 12-piece melamine dinnerware set (just $19.99 and also comes in pink!!):
Madras plaid steel beverage tub could look great at an outdoor reception ($12.99):
But here’s the high-low find of all time.
Tiffany & Co used to have the “Fruits” ceramic bowl and tray pictured below (since discontinued, but relatively pricey I assure you):
Here’s Rowley’s melamine fruit bowl and platter set ($13.99) and fruit tray ($9.99) that give you much the same, summery look for bargain prices!
This colorful, retro-cool stuff is great for an outdoor pre-wedding BBQ, rehearsal dinner, farewell brunch, or even a DIY wedding by the sea.
Love it, love Rowley!
Posted in Parties, Registry | Leave a Comment »
There’s a great article critiquing the waning tendency to RSVP in today’s NY Times Style section. Check it out here.
From everything I’ve heard from people who’ve been through this before, people apparently will not RSVP to your wedding. This seems totally shocking, but I think this article sheds some light on why it happens.
Posted in Stationery | Leave a Comment »
I just found this picture of Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag from “The Hills” at today’s Kentucky Derby and…
…I think he’s wearing our groomsmen tie! Nooooooooo! Gross!!
We’re doing tri-colored (pink, green, blue) bridesmaid dresses and ties, and this appears to be the Glen Plaid Stripe tie from Brooks Brothers.
This is very bad. Spencer sux!
Posted in Fashion | 4 Comments »
It’s been a couple of weeks since my absolutely wonderful NYC shower (thanks the NYC bridesmaids who put together an incredible party!). We had brunch, games, gifts, and cupcakes in mix-and-match teacups (and everyone got to take their teacup home as party favor with a delicious Citrus Mint tea pyramid by Tea Forte (mmm…)) – see below:
I thought the invitation that the hostesses (we’ll just call them C, A, & J…) selected was so gorgeous, I had to share it with you guys.
In the interest of privacy, certain key phrases have been altered:
It’s from Wedding Paper Divas, and you can feel free to copy this pretty look. I love it!
Thank you again for my fun bridal shower! Dressing up in a tissue paper wedding dress was never more fun. 😉
Posted in Parties | 3 Comments »
A wedding gift arrived today: the Williams-Sonoma Popover Pan!
For any reader who’s ever had popovers, you know that these eggy baked concoctions are pure heaven on earth. I did a little jig when I saw what was inside the box (which I’ll get to later), and immediately whipped up some popover batter.
THIS PAN IS AMAZING.
I’d made popovers tons of times before in muffin tins, but this pan lets you make them on a whole other level. They are super-easy to prepare, and they come out absolutely, magazine-quality perfect. This would really wow a group of houseguests or just be a fantastic weekend surprise!
Check out my popovers (the only two left since we pounced the minute they came out of the oven. These are the runts of the litter!):
My only gripe is a broader one about Williams-Sonoma: Everything arrives in massive boxes with tons of interior packaging and foam peanuts. I realize that they have to make sure things arrive in one piece, but the size of some of these boxes has been utterly ridiculous.
Here is a photo of all the packaging that came with this single, relatively small popover pan:
It looks absurd, right?!?
So get thee to a Williams-Sonoma store and buy thyself a popover pan… without the surplus packing!
Posted in Food, Registry | 1 Comment »
I have been tagged by Jessica at Tying the Knot. Yay!
I am still relatively new to the world of blogging, but I think this is a good thing.
1) you link back to the person who tagged you.
2) post these rules on your blog.
3) share six unimportant things about yourself.
4) tag six random people at the end of your entry.
5) let the tagged people know by leaving a comment on their blogs
OK, six random things about me….
1. I devour anything with caramel. I believe the best caramels in the world are the Celtic Sea Salt caramels from Bequet in Montana (see here
2. I lost my first tooth in third grade (I was a very late bloomer!!).
3. We’re having cupcakes from Buttercup Bake Shop in NYC at our wedding. I like the yellow ones, so we’ll likely do a yellow and white color combination.
4. I am terrified of bats (see photo below- totally horrifying).
5. I am not terrified of spiders, which has made me the de facto spider hunter in our house. I’ve gotten really good at catching them and getting them outside ASAP.
6. I hopped onto the Ugg and Juicy Couture terry sweatsuit trends late, but I am clinging to both for dear life because they are so darned comfortable. Don’t judge me.
Ocean State Bride
The Knot Interested
Snippet and Ink
The Preppy Wedding
With this ring I obsess
Posted in Uncategorized | 2 Comments »